Thursday, July 24, 2014

Trying new things

Okay so Im going to admit, a year ago I bought a small little succulent with my bestie at a succulent party and I had no idea what I was doing. I thought for sure I would bound to kill the poor thing. To be honest I probably still don't know what I am doing. Anyways I eventually needed to repot my little plant into a bigger pot. I read up on how to do it and I tried it out. Good News! I didn't kill it! haha it survived and grew more too. Well we went to home depot today and I convince Ryan to look through the gardening section (love). We found a really cute pot and a really cute Cactus! We bought them and came home to repot my slow growing home garden.

So for any of you beginners out there. Although I am sure I am way behind the times.. Here is 5 easy steps for us not so talented urban-hipster gardeners.


1. Supplies
Cactus potting soil (Home Depot)
An adorable pot (Home Depot)
Your favorite Succulents or Cacti (Home Depot)


These are my plants. The green pot was the one I got a year ago from the succulent party and the cactus I got from Home Depot. They have a huge/cheap selection. Great for budgets.


2. Adding the Soil
Next fill your pot with the potting soil
(to make it a little easier fill it halfway, add plants, then finish filling)


3. Repotting old plants
If you are repotting an old plant take the plant out of the old pot and shake of the old dirt. 
BE CAREFUL
You don't have to break off the roots.
This is always the scariest part for me but don't worry to much.


4. Potting 
I potted my old plant first. I then added my new cactus. 
Now I am thinking I want to add two more plants. The pot is drowning them. haha
Pack down the soil a little bit, because your new plants will be a little wobbly.
Be careful, you don't want to pack it tight.

5. Watering
Add a little water after you have finished potting. Just to moisten the dirt.
Keep it it in some sunlight and water one a week. Twice if your garden is feeling super dry. 
I have literally gone 2-3 weeks without watering mine. forgetful mind. 
So don't feel horrible if you do too. Just water it and keep an eye on it.


Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment